Re: type one password, get many

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 10:19 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Someone referred recently to a scenario in which a human would type in
> the password for the root partition, and then the passwords for the
> other partitions would come from a file in /etc.
>
> Could anyone provide some more details about how that would work, and
> whether it is advisable?  Clearly someone with access to the live system
> could get the passwords for all but root, and someone who, e.g., stole
> the disk, would only need to crach one password.  I think those limits
> would be acceptable to me; are there others?
I think unless I'm careful I'll end up with an unencrypted initrd that
includes file with the passwords.  So I need either to make the boot
partition the one with the user-entered password, or eliminate the
file(s) with the secrets from the initrd.

Debian has a file /etc/cryptab that supports automounting, but I'll have
to dig around to see how this interacts with the initrd framework (I'm
running Lenny).

Moji, thanks for the example.

Ross