Re: Need help! Lost my superblock!

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The salt is an anti-forensic measure, making the pre-building of
> tables more difficult. It needs to be weakly non-predictable
> and typically is weak key-grade. The mk-digest is an identifier
> that has a default value and can come only from a short
> list of names, so an attack can try them all with little
> effort.
>
> So, no, the salt is a real, likely unsolvable, problem,
> with close to 256 bits of entropy that would need to be guessed,
> while the mk-digest represents likely less than 2 bits in practice,
> maybe just a tiny bit more than one with most people using the
> default.
>
> Arno

My understanding of mk-digest, mk-digest-salt and mk-digest-iter
appears to be in conflict with your own.

Page 7:
"The master key is checksummed, so a correct master key can be
detected. To future-proof the checksumming, a hash is not only applied
once but multiple times. In fact, the PBKDF2 primitive is reused. The
master key is feed into the PBKDF2 process as if it were a user
password. After the iterative hashing, the random chosen salt, the
iteration count and the result are stored in the phdr."

As I understand it not having access to mk-digest-salt is not much of
an issue. The real issue is that he's overwritten the first 6 and a
bit keyslots and thus lost the salts and iteration counts stored in
each slot.

But if he was using slot 8, he'd be in luck.

-- Roscoe