Re: Stupid Question

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 05:37:34PM +0200, Valerio Paris Mitritsakis wrote:
> Dear Arno,
>
> this is supposed to be a Headless Linux box so the option to have
> someone typing a password/passphrase is not an option.
> Also I want to encrypt the filesystem so as data is not copied from
> the box. Consider it as a device/appliance that will be leased
> to customers. I do not worry about it being stolen, I just want to
> prevent the casual Linux user from opening the box and copying
> the contents to another computer. If someone steals the box he would
> need to login to it anyway so if he manages to bypass
> authentication etc. etc. he can keep the loot :p

Aha. So the approach to tie the disk to the hardware would
actually work. Hmm. For a short passphrase you could have
the set-up script use the MAC of the NIC, e.g. like this:

   ifconfig | grep eth0 | cryptsetup --key-file -

to generate the passphrase. Keep a backup of the input
data for manual access. If you want more data to go
inte the passphrase, chain themm e.g. like this:

(ifconfig | grep eth0; cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -v bogomips| grep -v MHz)

and take care to filter out stuff that is measured at boot time
and may change (here speed and bogo-mips).
You can also query BIOS and CPU via the tool dmidecode.

How how to do this? One approach is to manipulate the initial ramdisk
and do the encryption there. Far easier would be to have the system
partition (or part of it) unencrypted and then use one of the
boot-scripts in /etc/init.d to set up an encrypted partition in
addition with your own script. These scripts are called in numeric
order via symlinks from /etc/rc2.d. You can do your own set-up
basically before most things happen.

Everything critical would go into your own partition, so that a
thief could still steal most of the distribution, but nothing
of your special stuff. User accounts can go compeletely into
the encrypted partition. It may be possible to shift most things
besides /etc, /sbin, /bin, /lib and maybe /var and /usr/sbin into
the encrypted partition as well. If you need specific executables
on the non-encrypted partition, you can copy them over. Dynamic
library dependencies are displayed with

  ldd <executable>

Arno
--