Stupid Question

Dear all,

I am looking into the possibility of having an Ubuntu 8.04 installation with an encrypted filesystem. As it is supported out of the box I managed to get it up and running in no time. However what I would really need is the system to boot without prompting for a passphrase. I just want to prevent someone from unplugging the hard disk and mounting it on another machine. So far I have seen that this can be done with a USB Key with a key file however I do not want to use a USB Key.

Is there any other way? I know that this would compromise security and probably kind of beat the purpose for what I would use LUKS however I want to prevent Joe Average and not Joe Hacker from reading my disk.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Valerio

Μητριτσάκης Βαλέριο Πάρις
Σύμβουλος Πληροφορικής
Ηλεκτρονικός Μηχανικός Τ.Ε.
MSc Network Systems
MCP ID: 5745185

Mitritsakis Valerio Paris
IT Consultant
Electronic Engineer
MSc Network Systems
MCP ID: 5745185
Συμβουλευτικές Υπηρεσίες Πληροφορικής - Τεχνική υποστήριξη Η/Υ & Δικτύων
        IT Consultancy Services Computer & Network Tech Support
                       http://www.mitritsakis.gr