Re: trouble managing key.file

Roscoe wrote:
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Dick Middleton <gmane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it?  Works for me.  But then if you use --key-file=key.file you'll use it
the same way every time so the difference won't be noticed.

You have to be a bit careful, it is important to understand what the
difference may be.

Yes, sorry, I was a bit casual in what I said.

Firstly I assumed the use of LUKS and that works differently from non-LUKS.

Secondly I've been through this hoop, made this mistake but forgotten as it was some 2 or 3 years ago.

FYI I use jpg files for some of my key files.

With cryptsetup create? Using the first 16 or 32 bytes (probably 16,
possibly >32 depending on mode) of a non-randomly generated file seems
a bit of a bad idea to me.

LUKS uses PBKDF2 to suck in the whole key material adds a salt and creates a derived key (which is more secure). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBKDF2 (http://clemens.endorphin.org/TKS1-draft.pdf). Unlike non-LUKS it doesn't use just the first 16 or 32 bytes of the key.

So, if you like, in this context a jpg file is just a very long password, hopefully more secure than a short one.

Dick