Re: trouble managing key.file

Jonas Meurer wrote:

# cat key.file | cryptsetup create new_partition /dev/path/partition --key-file=-

keyfile is not meant to keep the hashed version of your passphrase,
keyfile may be any file. the most secure way to use a keyfile is to
fill it up with random data, i.e. from /dev/random.

if you give the keyfile as argument with --key-file=key.file then it's
processed different. would need to to look at the code to tell you the
exact difference.

Is it? Works for me. But then if you use --key-file=key.file you'll use it the same way every time so the difference won't be noticed.

FYI I use jpg files for some of my key files.

Dick