Re: encrypted home start-up problem with keyfile

Ludwig Nussel wrote:

# grep sda12 /etc/fstab /etc/crypttab /etc/fstab:/dev/mapper/sda12 /crypt ext2 noauto 0 0
/etc/crypttab:sda12 /dev/sda12 none luks

wouldn't this crypttab entry ask for a password (third entry: `none')?

My problem is that I do want to have all partitions (/, /home, wap) encrypted and I do want to give the password only once during boot. So, at this point we would need the name of a key-file (containing the passphrase for /home and swap), which is accessible after the root partition is decrypted by the password given, without further asking me for passwords. My crypttab man page says that an entry `none' will ask for the password interactively.

The solution suggested by Heinz works excellently in my environment. Is there any argument AGAINST this solution - I mean, does this conflict with some other action during boot?

As a user (rather than an expert in encryption and boot process organization ...), I think that it would be nice to have a clear description how to proceed which is also mentioned in the openSUSE HOWTO pages.

Regards
Bernd