Re: encrypted home start-up problem with keyfile

Heinz Diehl wrote:
> At Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:43:54 +0100,
> > The openSUSE people should definitely change this in the boot process
> > and/or this should also be added to the Encrypted_Root_File_System HOWTO
> > at en.opensuse.org.
>
> They refuse, I tried it 2 times without success, they said the boot process is
> ok, without giving me any facts to convince me. When you use unencrypted root
> fs, it doesn't matter, but using an encrypted root fs, it's a bug. Definitely.
> It's quite obvious that you can not mount an encrypted fs without having
> successfully run devicemapper / cryptsetup on it first.

Don't you want to add some references to back up your claims before
spreading FUD?

You are right when you say a encrypted fs needs to be setup up first
before you can mount it. That's why boot.crypto *intentionally* runs
after boot.localfs. To be able to support loop images stored on
unencrypted filesystems. To prevent boot.localfs from failing you
need to add noauto as option and disable fsck in /etc/fstab for
encrypted filessystems of course. boot.crypto does the mounting and
fsck itself.

Some use cases are not possible with this scheme of course. LVM on
encrypted volumes for example. Therefore 11.1 introduces
boot.crypto-early which runs before boot.lvm, boot.md etc.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel