Re: Request for Comments: Pledge fund for multicore support

* Sami Liedes <sliedes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Write a dm mapping (I think this can't currently be done in userspace)
> that does reverse RAID-0, i.e. splits a disk in two (or more) logical
> devices in stripes, for example for 4 MiB blocks:
>
> Offset (MiB)    0   4   8  12  16  20  24  28  32  36
> device          0   1   0   1   0   1   0   1   0   1
>
> Now apply dm-crypt to both the logical devices, then on top of that
> put RAID-0 with the same stripe size (4 MiB). This would combine the 4
> MiB blocks back in the correct order so that the resulting RAID device
> actually maps linearly to the underlying disk, while giving two
> kcryptd threads.

You can just make a few partitions and encrypt every partition
individual ;).

That should be done anyway with linux SW raid5 because of the
shortcomings of the error-recovery code.
The more individial raid5's you have the better, otherwise just 2
one-bit errors are killing a 3 disk raid5.

e.g
3*500GB hd's

create 5*100GB partitions on every hd.
create 5*raid5 spanning the 5 partitions on every hd
create one linear appending to put all the raid5's into one device.

This setup is nice because if you buy bigger disks a few years later you
can just integrate them into your raid with 100GB segment size, without
loosing your old disks.

Btw... there is another _REALLY_  good reason for this setup if you use
xts encryption mode.

quote from NIST XTS submission paper[0]:
The proof from Rogaway [B10] yields strong security guarantee as long as
the same key is not used to encrypt much more than a terabyte of data
(which gives q = 236 blocks). For this case, no attack can succeed with
probability better than 2^-53 (i.e., approximately one in eight
quadrillion).

For petabyte ~ 2^-27.

[0]:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1619tmp/1619-2007-NIST-Submission.pdf