Re: Intel's encryption in Eaglelake or should we trust hardware encryption?

On Monday 14 January 2008 14:26:48 Arno Wagner wrote:
>However serving, e.g., websites from
>an encrypted disk is a very bad idea in the first place. If you
>do such a thing, there could be a side channel.

Could you elaborate that? I don't see why disk encryption could be a "very bad
idea" for a web server. It could very well guard against recovery of eg.
replaced RAID1 disks data, or data disclosure from stolen server. Even if
someone mounts a side channel attack on your key, it's still more complicated
to get your data than without any encryption.

Yours, Uwe