Re: Intel's encryption in Eaglelake or should we trust hardware encryption?

> > However, it got me thinking whether I trust these solution. I
> > inherently feel more secure when using software I wrote and compiled
> > myself than using hardware. But what's the difference when the
> > bitstream that tumbles out at both ends -- AES hardware and AES
> > software -- are identical?
>
> Ciphers in hardware are generally not a problem, except for local
> attacks.

This is pretty naive. Every modern hardware contains software stored
for example in EEPROMs or flash. If a malicious software is good
enough it can do a lot of possible things that needs not only
local attacks.

> I am sure the enemies of freedom sure would like to have backdooors
> in everything. But having a backdoor in a block cipher in hardware
> is only possible if the cipher itself has the backdoor. AES is a
> 1:1 mapping and cannot have a backkdoor that allways works. It
> could (theoretically) have one that compresses the data and then
> embeds something in the bits gained. However the AES structure
> does not seem to do that.

There are a lot of possible attacks for malicious implementations.
It can for example store the AES key in a flash memeory on the hardware
and reveal on special commands or it can be exploited by site channel attacks.

I have the same objections as Clemens.
Its pretty hard to verify site-channel security and find backdoors on hardware without for really good documentations like VHLD layout and
auditable microcode.

greetings
wof