Re: LUKS on DVD+RW

Lars Täuber wrote:

This is the point where it hangs. Can someone explain me why this ioctl returns an error?

ioctl(5, DM_VERSION, 0x80d5c80)         = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Because you don't have permission - I hate to state the obvious ;-)

I think the problem is with device-mapper. I'm not sure because I don't really understand but there is some discussion on this subject turned up by google. It seems it has it's own idea (i.e. compiled settings) of permissions/ownership for devices. The inference is that dmsetup needs to be run as root. cryptsetup is a wrapper for dmsetup.

My suggestion, at least in the short term, is to reconsider your opinion of sudo. sudo is highly configurable and has the capability of restricting a specific user to running a single specified program if that is what you require. I think to label it as too insecure is doing it an injustice; it's a matter of configuration. ymmv.

Dick