Re: LRW weakness?

rsnel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
You need to pass aes-lrw-benbi as cipher mode (as said in Kconfig). You
should get LRW-32-AES encryption that way (as defined in
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1619/email/pdf00017.pdf)
(benbi is a lot like plain, but plain is a little endian sector (512
bytes) count, and benbi is a bigendian cipherblock count).

ah, ok, thanks.

LRW is no IEEE1619 candidate anymore because it is very weak if you
encrypt the encryption key itself, see:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1619/email/msg01150.html

so If I don't put the encryption key on the encrypted volume I will
be fine?

is there any alternative to LRW that is better from a security point
of view? the other candidates are not implemented yet for linux as far
as I know.

Thanks!

Regards, Andreas