Re: Creating dm-crypt images through a pipe

> Maybe aespipe is what you're looking for. Except that it uses loop
> devices instead of dm-crypt.

As I stated in my first post, I've had little success with aespipe. The
only images compatible with cryptsetup that I could obtain were the ones
where aespipe/cryptsetup prompts you for a password, which gets hashed
before being used as a key.

I didn't manage to generate images usable with the -d option of cryptsetup,
which is much more interesting since you can manage these keys in any
way you like, e.g. encrypting them with gpg.
I already hacked a little into aespipe to force it to use a binary
key, which works, but produces only garbage when subsequently
'cryptsetupped'. So I still need to figure out which incompatible
transforms are applied by aespipe.

> But maybe you're able to write 'dmcryptpipe' with 'aespipe' as starting
> point.

I'd also like to reuse code from cryptsetup, so my dmcryptpipe would
expose the exact same options as cryptsetup. Also, it seems aespipe has
its own aes implementation, does not use cryptoapi, and I suspect it does
use a different blocksize for data granularity (16 bytes in single-key
mode, according to aespipe's man page, dm-crypt may use 512 ?)

JC