Re: Creating dm-crypt images through a pipe

> # touch /cd.iso
> # losetup /dev/loop/0 /cd.iso
> # echo 0 $(( 680*1024*1024/512 )) crypt aes-cbc-plain 0123456789abcdef 0
> /dev/loop/0 0 | dmsetup create encrypted_cd
> # mkisofs ... > /dev/mapper/encrypted_cd
>
> Then you have an iso file with an encrypted ISO9660 filesystem. You might
> have to tweak a bit, and maybe it doesn't even work because of the way
> mkisofs works.

Yeah, but you still need some temporary space to hold the /cd.iso image.
No way to burn directly. In fact I want to do this with a tape drive, ie
pipe directly the output of tar/mkisofs through the encryption program and
then on tape. I just made my question more generic, so I only brought up the
case of cd recorders, for which the problem still holds.

I'm willing to write such a program, however, I need to gather some info
about how it should be done and if I can reuse some code from dm-crypt or
cryptsetup. It would be great if the pipe program would take the exact same
options as cryptsetup.

JC