Re: cryptsetup luksAddKey == Can't open device:

Lance W. Haverkamp wrote:

All I did to get the "Can't open device" error is to type:
cryptsetup luksAddKey [anything here like /media/sda1] keyfile
into the root command console.  That's it, nothing weird.

I guess, /media/??? is a mountpoint and /dev/hd?? is a block
device - is that valid for you, too?

I'm as confused as anyone here. We don't know how your system is configured, what the path to your keyfile is, where your drives are mounted and so on. You really should read the man page for cryptsetup and understand what is going on.

<QUOTE>
       luksAddKey <device> [<new key file>]

add a new key file/passphrase. An existing passphrase or key file (via --key-file) must be supplied. The key file with the new material is supplied as after luksAddKey as positional argument. <options> can be [--key-file].
</QUOTE>

The command is

cryptsetup luksAddKey <device for encrypted system> <path to keyfile>

if I understand what you've said that should be:

cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/hda3 /media/sda1/keyfile.home

It then should prompt you for an already existing passphrase for the /home drive and add the key in keyfile.home to that drive.

Dick