Re: cryptsetup luksAddKey == Can't open device:

Thanks for your reply.  I'm providing all the information I know to
include---I'm a 2-3 year Linux user (write papers, check email, turn-off
computer), not a developer nor Linux hobbyist:

[read: console = Satan]   ;-)

As stated before, I have a working cryptsetup installation if I enter a
password at boot; so I know it's all installed properly.

All I did to get the "Can't open device" error is to type:
cryptsetup luksAddKey [anything here like /media/sda1] keyfile
into the root command console.  That's it, nothing weird.

> I guess, /media/??? is a mountpoint and /dev/hd?? is a block
> device - is that valid for you, too?

/media/sda1 is the hot-mount location for, in this case, my USB flash
drive; should I be using something else?  To debug I tried a more
traditional location /dev/hda1, figuring a hot-mount location may be a
problem; but most people using a keyfile would be using a USB drive.

On my system:
/dev/hda1 is everything except swap & home
/dev/hda2 is swap
/dev/hda3 is home

So I placed a 1024 bit keyfile (called keyfile) in /, which I think, is
 the same as /dev/hda1.  Still get "Can't open device"--not can't find
file, but "Can't open device."  Device is mounted...Linux can't run
without it!

Again, following instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemHowto3

> dmesg or strace

At your suggestion, I looked into using dmesg.  The man page for dmesg
is  sadly useless, it doesn't tell how, when or where to run the
program, all it says is:

> the user need only:
>
>     dmesg > boot.messages
>
> and mail the boot.messages file to whoever can debug their problem.

But I'm not sure this would help as I'm not rebooting yet, I'm just
trying to add a key using the root command console.

Any idea what's wrong here?

Thanks,

Lance

lars wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> # cryptsetup luksAddKey [anything here like /media/sda1] keyfile
>>
>> I always get:
>>
>> Can't open device: /media/sda1 (or whatever)
>>
>> Same error regardless of device; /dev/hda1, /home, etc.
>
> I guess, /media/??? is a mountpoint and /dev/hd?? is a block
> device - is that valid for you, too?
>
> Maybe you should describe a _specific_ example _completely_ - otherwise it is
> hard to guess the cause of your problem, as - at least for me - cryptsetup
> just works, if I follow some valid instructions.
>
> Maybe add the output of dmesg or even of strace to your report.
>
> regards,
> Lars
>
> PS: hehe - you posted the same message three days ago. And now you did not
> provide any further information. IMO, usually people do not just ignore
> messages, but they rather do not know, what to answer ...
> (also see http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id274557)

Thanks!

Lance W. Haverkamp
Lance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx