Crypto root woes

I've been running my root filesystem on LUKS for many months now. I use Debian and I recently updated - which I do fairly regularly. Half way through it failed - the main error was the xfs filesystem complaining of corruption. When it does this it umounts the fs - not handy when it's a root fs ;-) Luckily I was able to reboot, fix the filesystem and repair the damaged files.

The same thing has just happened on my laptop. Problem is it's wiped out the init program so this time I can't boot. This is not such a big deal but I want to try to recover if I can.

Does anybody know of a live CD or rescue CD which includes cryptsetup? I hoped the latest Ubuntu did but it seems not.

I have no idea why this is happening. My guess is that its not related directly to Debian updating except that it excercises the filesystem quite vigorously. It's possible it's related to changing from 2.6.17 to 2.6.18 kernel which I did fairly recently on both systems. It's also possible it's a dmcrypt problem. Who knows!

Dick