Re: dm-setup with keyfile for root encryption

> Actually there is one big difference.  To read the data on the disc
> you have to boot the system.  With plain disc you can easily read the
> data with any machine (including Windows).
>
> As always with encryption you need to understand exactly what you are
> trying to protect against.
>
> I quite like the idea of constructing a key from various external
> factors.  It could be the MAC address of your adsl modem or the
> contents of a file on a remote machine - or some combination of both.
> The idea being that if you attempt to run the system in some other
> location, or in some other environment, it won't boot.  Problem, of
> course, is catch-22, you cannot easily access the remote data until
> the system is booted.

Xfect! That is exactly what i wuold like to do.
I wuold like to use a key for non interactivity boot of machine but i
wuold like to protect data from reading without that key.
And for that reason i try to do that, but the problem is "HOW TO" do that...

Your idea of use an external factor (MAC Address etc...) is very
interesting but is it possibile?

> Dick

Duke