Re: dm-setup with keyfile for root encryption

debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I quite like the idea of constructing a key from various external
factors.  It could be the MAC address of your adsl modem or the
contents of a file on a remote machine - or some combination of both.
The idea being that if you attempt to run the system in some other
location, or in some other environment, it won't boot.  Problem, of
course, is catch-22, you cannot easily access the remote data until
the system is booted.

Xfect! That is exactly what i wuold like to do.

Your idea of use an external factor (MAC Address etc...) is very
interesting but is it possibile?

Anything is possible! You need to get enough of the system in ramdisk working to get the external factors before switching to the root disk.

I don't have a solution to this.  I just like the idea.

Dick