Re: HOWTO: Encrypting /home with cryptsetup-luks on Fedora Core 5

Deskin Miller wrote:

> my question is:
> somebody who knows this technique now knows the plain "data" (or at
> least for a long time huge parts of it) could he get information about
> the master key he else wouldn't have?

This seems to be going after convenience at the expense of security.

Right-- known plaintext attacks, perhaps other weaknesses in the
encryption with just zeros-- to messy to figure out.

So how about this?  We do like they suggest with /dev/zero, but we do
it with a randomly-generated key, which has nothing to do with the key
used to actually encrypt data, and furthermore doesn't need to be
remembered: we throw it away after writing the random (encrypted)
data.

yes that, but what I do is copy from another device - not zeros but data on a disk. Just as fast. Once that's done re-format the luks partition to get another key for the real data.

Dick