Re: Re: HOWTO: Encrypting /home with cryptsetup-luks on Fedora Core 5

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> I see that you have moved to FC5, whereas we started the original thread
> on FC4. I presume you figured that this would be a good time to update,
> as indeed it is.

Actually, I started experimenting with cryptsetup on my laptop (FC4),
but when it came time to do some serious messing around, I deployed an
old Pentium II-mmx 300 MHz box, and installed FC5 fresh.

I'm actually re-installing FC5 on the PII box to test my instructions
again.  Once I'm convinced that they are dependable, I'll subject my
laptop the HOWTO.

Speaking of dependable, do you know why udev would fail on boot after I
made the changes in the HOWTO?  If I keep rebooting, udev eventually
works, but it's irritating and odd.

> A couple of thoughts:
>
> 1. Unless I am going blind in my middle age, I did not see a step in
> your HOWTO about prefilling the disk partition with random data. This is
> Step 1a/b in WOS's wiki entry. Is there a complication when using LVM2
> in terms of doing this or is this a missing critical step (perhaps with
> some differences in process) in the sequence?

No, I'm not aware of a LVM2 complication.  I left it out in error.  I
believe the reason for my omission is that when I first embarked on this
project I didn't know what was required to get the job done, and I think
I believed that filling the partition with random data would present
problems with retaining my original /home environment.  I see the error
of my way, and will modify the HOWTO to suggest the inclusion of those
steps.

> 2. You should give serious consideration to posting this process on the
> wiki, where it is likely to get more visibility and be easier to access,
> especially when using Google searches. You might even want to post a
> note about it with a link on the FC lists where you will likely make
> many people smile.  :-)

Good to know where great visibility is likely.  I'll definitely post the
HOWTO on the wiki.

> Great work!

Thank you.

John