Re: HOWTO: Encrypting /home with cryptsetup-luks on Fedora Core 5

On 5/31/06, Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jan Reusch wrote:

> Marc Schwartz schrieb:
>
>> (thing about filling the partition with random data before creating
>> crypted device)
>
> they say /dev/zero is much faster than /dev/urandom (which should be
> true ;) )
> so they whipe the first few m'bytes of the plan device with
> /dev/urandom (thats where the luks header will be written to),
> luksFormat the device, set it up and whipe the new encrypted device
> with zeros.
> so the zeros get encrypted and voila, random data on the partition.
>
> my question is:
> somebody who knows this technique now knows the plain "data" (or at
> least for a long time huge parts of it) could he get information about
> the master key he else wouldn't have?

This seems to be going after convenience at the expense of security.

Right-- known plaintext attacks, perhaps other weaknesses in the
encryption with just zeros-- to messy to figure out.

So how about this?  We do like they suggest with /dev/zero, but we do
it with a randomly-generated key, which has nothing to do with the key
used to actually encrypt data, and furthermore doesn't need to be
remembered: we throw it away after writing the random (encrypted)
data.

When the disk is actually mounted, it uses the real key, generated
from a passphrase or some other method, business as usual- the data
written to the drive is still zeros, but with a cryptographic key
which we didn't remember, and aren't using anyway, so with the real
key the data is seemingly random.

Known plaintext or attacks against the algorithm can't reveal the
actual key, because it wasn't used to randomize the drive.

-Deskin Miller