Re: dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

Hi,

here is my story about "data corruption":

I have the following setup:
nvidia nforce 4 -> 4x sata hd -> swraid5 -> luks (aes) -> xfs
all together about 650gb.

The box is running mldonkey 24/7 so that keeps the drives "busy".
After about 7+-1 days of uptime one disk drops out of the raid with, i think, a read error/timeout. So far no problem, but after about another 30 minutes a second disk errors out and kills the raid. Note: the disks are OK. After I shutdown the box for a few minutes, I force the raid back up. It does a rebuild, xfs_repair repairs the fs (and sometimes moves files to lost+found, that i have not touched for months) and everything is fine. I never noticed any dataloss, but the fs contains a couple 100k files, so I wouldn't notice unless they are in frequent use.

Here comes the funniest thing: I didn't change anything, except writing a script, that shuts down the raid when a disk errors out, so that the raid remains degraided, but not inconsistent. This was 24 days ago, and this is the uptime of the raid atm. I wonder if writing the script fixed the problem...

However, here is, what I figured, _might_ have happend: Maybe the disks turn off their motor about once a week (I read some time ago, that ide drives tend to do this (note: the same problem existed before, when i still used ide drives)). When a request comes in, it timeouts, because the motor is still down and the disk is marked defective.
Now my question: is this a possible explanation?

Another strange behavior is: Sometimes it takes very long to delete (mainly large, > 1-10mb) files. It takes up to 30 seconds per file (but when it happens, most of the time 5-10 seconds). During this time the deleting process is absolutely positively unkillable, which leads to the assumption that is hangs inside a kernel function call.
Small files have never caused this problem.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

chris.