Re: dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

Hi,

On Tue, 9 May 2006 20:04:57 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon <agk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:20:12PM +0200, Tillmann Steinbrecher wrote:
>> it's been many months that dm-crypt has been broken, and is known to
>> cause massive data corruption.

I'm wondering if there is any news on the issue by now. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to reproduce it using loop devices, but it is easy to reproduce using normal disks (although the recent problems I had occured on a large RAID volume, I've also had the problem in the past with a small 480 gig filesystem - so all it takes to reproduce it is a few 160GB disks. Write pattern matters; ideally, files should be copied on the disk from another local disk, not from network).

The question we (pragmatic) users now have: Should we give up on dm-crypt and use loop-aes, or can we expect a fix in the forseeable future?

bye,
Tillmann