Re: dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

At Thu, 25 May 2006 16:00:59 +0200,
Tillmann Steinbrecher wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2006 20:04:57 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon <agk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:20:12PM +0200, Tillmann Steinbrecher wrote:
> >> it's been many months that dm-crypt has been broken, and is known to
> >> cause massive data corruption.
>
> I'm wondering if there is any news on the issue by
> now. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to reproduce it using loop
> devices, but it is easy to reproduce using normal disks (although
> the recent problems I had occured on a large RAID volume, I've also
> had the problem in the past with a small 480 gig filesystem - so all
> it takes to reproduce it is a few 160GB disks.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much. We need a much much smaller test
case. If it doesn't work with loop, try to put the whole thing in qemu
and stress test it, maybe by just using bonnie++ multiple times. Maybe
vmware. Maybe even UML?

> The question we (pragmatic) users now have: Should we give up on
> dm-crypt and use loop-aes, or can we expect a fix in the forseeable
> future?

I'm not sure what's with Christophe but I am putting any effort into
this unless we have a test case that is in the magnitude of 10GB disk
space.
--
Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org
for robots: sp4mtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx