Re: [RFC/PATCHv2 3/3] spi: dw-spi: Pointers select 16b vs. 32b DesignWare access

On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 17:22 -0500, Thor Thayer wrote:

> > However, I'm now considering what if we just replace
> > dw_{write/read}w() by l-variants without any additional DT property
> > and accessor functions?
> > Would it work for both your cases (old chip, new chip)?
> > On my side I may test this on Intel MID.
> >

> Yes, this would be the simplest solution. The l-variant certainly works
> on our legacy SoCs. I'll be curious to hear your testing results.

Whenever you send a new version of patch.

> The data sheet mentions that registers are addressed at 32-bit
> boundaries to remain consistent with the AHB bus (Section 6.1 of
> dw_apb_ssi_db.pdf).  Additionally unused bits are reserved for writes
> and 0 for reads so this seems like a good solution.
>
> My concern is the presence of legacy devices that I have no way of
> testing. Is a Request For Test in the body of the patch sufficient?

Better to write this wider in cover letter or (in case of one patch) in
additional description usually located after '---' line.

Since I fixed couple of bugs in core I'm not sure we have a lot of
users. Nevertheless, can you check who was recent and / or active
contributor to spi-dw-mmio.c and put him / her to Cc list.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx>
Intel Finland Oy