Re: [RFC/PATCHv2 3/3] spi: dw-spi: Pointers select 16b vs. 32b DesignWare access

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Thor Thayer
<tthayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/09/2015 03:02 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Thor Thayer
>> <tthayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 03/09/2015 01:54 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, I just need the 32 bit write. I was trying to remain consistent but
>>> agree that only changing only writes would minimize the changes.
>>

>> Which is still makes me anxious.
>>
>> I have briefly read a chapter for SPI in pdf you sent link to. I
>> didn't find anything except SPI supports 32 bit data width.
>>
>> It would be nice if you ping your HW engineers and clarify what
>> exactly is happening there.
>>

> I confirmed with our HW engineer that writes are required to be 32 bits. We
> are in the process of updating our documentation to explicitly say this.
>
> Since there are no byte enables on our 32 bit APB interface, writing only 1
> or 2 bytes could corrupt the other bytes in the 32 bit word. The 32 bit
> write enforces requiring an explicit read/modify/write for less than 32 bit
> writes.
>
> Since reads are non-destructive (nothing is being written back into the
> register), it is safe for all reads to get promoted to 32 bit reads.

Thanks for detailed explanation!

> Is it preferable to have both 32 bit reads and writes for consistency?
>
> Or is it preferable to make the minimal number of changes which would be to
> only add a 32 bit write function?

Both I think just to be more clear.

However, I'm now considering what if we just replace
dw_{write/read}w() by l-variants without any additional DT property
and accessor functions?
Would it work for both your cases (old chip, new chip)?
On my side I may test this on Intel MID.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko