Re: DT Query on "New Compatible vs New Property"

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 07:18:25AM -0800, Nikunj Kela wrote:

> On 12/13/2023 11:49 PM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:

> > > Here, the hardware is going to be the same, but the resources (clocks,
> > > regulators, etc...) will be controlled by the firmware instead of OS.
> > Yeah, that's the problem with generic questions, instead of specific...
> > "Talk is cheap."
> >
> > OK, so the hardware is exactly the same? Does FW bring any
> > incompatibilities in the interface or is it just about the clocks? I
> > guess I should not have included "with same FW" in my last statement.
> > It's true, but way too narrow. Therefore let me rephrase it:
>
> HW is exactly the same. Let me give more insight on the setup. We have been
> using the HW in virtual environment but now the ownership of certain
> resources (e.g. clock controller etc.) is handed over to a different VM(non
> Linux VM). Earlier the ownership of the resources was local to the same
> VM(Linux VM) via passthrough mode so it could directly access them however
> now Linux VM talks to non-Linux VM for its operations for resources that it
> doesn't own anymore via some interface(shared memory/doorbell).  So shall we
> use property like 'qcom, controlled-remotely' or do we need a new compatible
> for such setup?

Krzysztof, just a ping on this thread.

To summarise, the hardware is exactly same. We can consider the case of UFS. The
UFS controller is exactly same in this proposed setup but the resources of the
UFS controller are taken care by the VM. So instead of enabling the resources
one by one, Linux kernel will just ask the VM to do so using an SCMI command.

Due to this difference, we need to make the changes in the UFS controller
driver. So we want to know if we can use a different compatible for the UFS
controller altogether in DT (this will allow Linux kernel to have a separate
driver and will simplify things) or just use a property like
"remotely-controlled" to let the driver detect this setup and take action
accordingly.

- Mani

--
மணிவண்ணன் சதாசிவம்