Re: DT Query on "New Compatible vs New Property"

+ Linaro team

On 12/12/2023 11:01 AM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2023 18:45, Nikunj Kela wrote:
We are abstracting some resources(ex. clocks) under new firmware on an
existing platform therefore need to make changes in certain drivers to
work with that firmware. We need to make a distinction between two
different variants of the FW. In one case, some resources will be
abstracted while in other case, they won't be abstracted. My query is -
"should we define a new compatible string for the variant with
abstracted resources(in FW) or we should add a new DT property keeping
the compatible same?"
Hi,

Usually change in the interface or behavior warrants new compatible.
Property would be suitable if the same device, e.g. same SoC component
with same FW, was configured differently on different boards.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

Thank you for your prompt response! Will use different compatible as advised.