Re: DT Query on "New Compatible vs New Property"

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 11:06:42AM -0800, Nikunj Kela wrote:
> + Linaro team
>
> On 12/12/2023 11:01 AM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> > On 12/12/2023 18:45, Nikunj Kela wrote:
> > > We are abstracting some resources(ex. clocks) under new firmware on an
> > > existing platform therefore need to make changes in certain drivers to
> > > work with that firmware. We need to make a distinction between two
> > > different variants of the FW. In one case, some resources will be
> > > abstracted while in other case, they won't be abstracted. My query is -
> > > "should we define a new compatible string for the variant with
> > > abstracted resources(in FW) or we should add a new DT property keeping
> > > the compatible same?"
> > Hi,
> >
> > Usually change in the interface or behavior warrants new compatible.
> > Property would be suitable if the same device, e.g. same SoC component
> > with same FW, was configured differently on different boards.

Here, the hardware is going to be the same, but the resources (clocks,
regulators, etc...) will be controlled by the firmware instead of OS.

Should we still use a different compatible? For the similar usecase, we already
have properties like 'qcom,controlled-remotely' to let the OS know that it
should not configure the hardware and just consume it.

To me both usecases sounds similar.

- Mani

--
மணிவண்ணன் சதாசிவம்