Re: JSON schema and conditions

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 3:19 PM Maxime Ripard <maxime.ripard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Yeah, I've tried that already, and it indeed looks like it always try
> > > to look them up on your github repo (or the local cache), but will not
> > > try to locate it in the kernel tree.
> >
> > Actually, this should already kind of work, but only if all schema
> > files are used. IOW, it doesn't work if you limit the schema files
> > setting DT_SCHEMA_FILES. A reference to '/schemas/foo/bar.yaml' will
> > match 'Documentation/devicetree/bindings/foo/bar.yaml'.
> >
> > I looked at trying to fix this, but at the point I need to load the
> > reference I don't have the kernel source path, only the build path.
> > The easiest fix would be to ignore (or only warn on) unresolved
> > schemas, so we don't crash at least. Then you'd have to set
> > DT_SCHEMA_FILES to the inherited schema if you wanted to validate with
> > that.
>
> So I gave it a try with the following patch:
> http://code.bulix.org/k8yxtm-566934?raw
>
> The output is:
>
> $DIR/arch/arm/boot/dts/sun4i-a10-cubieboard.dt.yaml: Additional properties are not allowed ('target-supply', 'clocks' were unexpected)
> $DIR/arch/arm/boot/dts/sun4i-a10-cubieboard.dt.yaml: compatible: ['allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahci'] is not valid under any of the given schemas
>
> So it looks like it doesn't pick everything up, but yet if the number
> of clocks is wrong, it's reported, which looks kind of weird since
> compatible apparently doesn't match. Do you see any flaw with this?

Essentially, each schema file here is evaluated separately not as a
union of the 2 files. You could just drop 'additionalProperties', but
then either ahci-platform.yaml should not have compatible defined (you
could have a 3rd file with that) or it needs *all* the possible
compatibles. Probably the former would be better. However, if the
common one just has reg and interrupts, then there's probably not much
point in trying to share with sun4i-a10-cubieboard.dt.yaml. But I'm
assuming there's more properties you just haven't put in?

Rob