Re: [RFC 3/6] dt/bindings: Add bindings for Tegra20/30 NOR bus driver

On 25/07/16 13:10, Thierry Reding wrote:
> * PGP Signed by an unknown key

>>> Nit-pick ... the Tegra documentation refers to this controller as the
>>> GMI (general memory interface) or SNOR (sync-NOR) controller because it
>>> is not just limited to NOR as you mentioned. I see references to GMI in
>>> the Tegra pinctrl driver and so may be we should use this name.
>>
>> ACK.

>>> I see at least one difference at the register level between Tegra20 and
>>> Tegra30 and so I think this should be something like ...
>>>
>>>  - compatible : Should contain one of the following:
>>>         For Tegra20 must contain "nvidia,tegra20-gmi".
>>>         For Tegra30 must contain "nvidia,tegra30-gmi".
>>
>> ACK. Just curious, which register was it? I only checked that they
>> have the same count of registers.

>>> There is also a SNOR_MIO_CONFIG for the MIO address space and so I think
>>> that this should be nvidia,snor-config to be explicit. It might be nice
>>> to also add a "nvidia,mio-config" while you are at it as well, however,
>>> that could always be done later. If you do, then the
>>> "nvidia,snor-config" becomes optional depending on whether you are using
>>> the SNOR or MIO address space.
>>
>> ACK the nvidia,snor-config part, will though wait for further comments
>> regarding what to do with the config registers, break-out or keep it
>> is a one property / register.
>>
>> Regarding mio-config, not sure about if I would like to include that
>> part in this stage. If you feel strongly about this we can do it. If
>> it only comes to down to replicate the same configurations that we do
>> for SNOR to MIO then I do not see much of a problem, but would like
>> SNOR to be accepted and would not like the MIO part to halt this. But
>> then again this up to you guys.
>
> What's the difference between SNOR and MIO? Sorry if I'm being dense but
> a quick look around the internet didn't yield anything related. I'd be
> happy to read up if somebody can provide a link.

I am not sure where this term MIO comes from (may be an NVIDIA term),
but from looking at the MIO_CONFIG register, it looks like a basic
16/32-bit interface with configurable read/write strobe timing. Does not
support bursting or address/data multiplexing that the SNOR interface
does. So may be it is used for interfacing to external devices such as
FIFOs, UARTs, I2C expanders, etc.

Cheers
Jon

--