Re: [RFC 7/8] hwmon: Altera Arria10 System Resource Chip - HW Monitor

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 04:43:41PM -0500, Thor Thayer wrote:

> On 03/29/2016 03:16 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 02:13:10PM -0500, tthayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >>From: Thor Thayer <tthayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>
> >>This patch adds the hwmon functionality to the Arria10 System
> >>Resource Chip. The hwmon encapsulates the PCIe Enable, USB Enable,
> >>and all the Power Good signals on the System Controller.
> >>

> >I may be completely wrong, but a glance through the driver suggests
> >that, if anything, this should be a regulator driver, not a hwmon driver.
> >A hardware monitoring driver would be expected to report the voltages,
> >not (just) the voltage status. Am I missing something ?
> >
> >Please have a look into Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface for
> >acceptable hwmon attribute names and their meaning.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Guenter
> >

> Hi Guenter,
>
> <adding voltage and current regulator framework moderators>
>
> Yes, I see your point. In looking at the regulator drivers, I interpret
> those as being controlled by the driver whereas this chip is passively
> reporting status.
>
> The success/fail indication seemed at first glance to fit the hwmon model. I
> thought the fan indication would be a good analog but even it reports speed
> and not success/fail.

Yes, alarm and/or fault attributes are supposed to be secondary.

> After reading the referenced document, I agree that hwmon probably isn't
> appropriate. However, the regulator doesn't seem appropriate either (the
> only status appears to be tied to battery properties).

Not really sure myself where this would fit if it is just status bits.

Does the chip report anything else besides the status ? One of the attributes
includes "pmbus", so one could conclude that there must be a PMBus compatible
chip somewhere.

Thanks,
Guenter