Re: Device Tree Evolution Project - call notes - 29th January

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 17:32, Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Mills, William <wmills@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Steve,
> >
> > Can TI get on the agenda for this week's meeting?
> >
> > We have a simple approach to make progress on boot loader applied overlays.
> > It is a small repo with just the overlays.
> > It builds the dtb's from the upstream kernel repo and the overlays from this repo.
> > We are going to do this at git.ti.com so we can make progress.
> > However we would like to suggest this as a simple way forward to collectively host things the kernel maintainers do not want in the kernel.
>
> For the record, I'm in favor of hosting overlays in the kernel (of
> course I have opinions on the details). Frank is not in favor IIRC,
> but Frank is only maintainer of 'drivers/of/' so ultimately not his
> decision.
>
> > Does it make sense to host something like this in devicetree.org github account?
>
> Yes, but I would like to see this coordinated with hosting
> 'devicetree-rebasing' there. We should be able to use the same
> makefiles from it. Perhaps the overlay repo should work as a git
> submodule of it as well. That would help keep things in sync.
>
> A concern I have is what happens when someone wants to split some
> portions of an existing dts into an overlay? Then the base dts becomes
> incomplete. Users will have regressions from missing functionality if
> they don't know to apply some overlay. And how do we track what base
> DTs overlays apply to? Not that we have a solution when they are in
> one tree, but 2 trees makes that harder.

DT lifecycle shall be selectable by the board vendor. If, for any reason
(and there may be plenty), a vendor believes it is a better organization to
handle the DT assembly (static + overlays) outside the kernel, then it
should be possible to do so.
Note: On the ACPI front, a form of overlays (needed for DT too) will
be handled by U-Boot:
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-January/397886.html

--
François-Frédéric Ozog | Director Linaro Edge & Fog Computing Group
T: +33.67221.6485