Device Tree Evolution Project - call notes - 4th December

Hey folks,

I'm sharing the notes from our regular meeting that was held
yesterday. We continued discussion around several topics: System DT,
how to work with a new/shared repo for DT data and runtime
identification of DT.

More details about the meeting etc. at the end.

Attendees
=========

SteveM - Arm
ArndB - Linaro
BenjaminG - ST
MarkB - Arm
MathieuP - Linaro
SaravanaK - Google
StefanoS - Xilinx
TomasE - Xilinx
VincentG - Linaro
WarnerL - Netflix
BillF - Linaro

Notes
=====

1. Some discussion ongoing on the system-dt list
   a. https://lists.openampproject.org/mailman/listinfo/system-dt
   b. Thanks to Rob and Stefano. More people pitching in would be welcome.
   c. RH: Have some concerns on progress. Think we need to look more
      at the big picture. Also more discussion with more than one user
      perspective.

2. Arnd looking at prototype for using external DT repo
   a. AB: Removing the Device Tree files from the kernel and using the
      kernel makefiles to build the external files as if they were
      internal doesn’t seem very appealing.
   b. RH: Can see why not from a distro point of view, but keeps the
      same workflow for developers.
   c. AB: Need to find some way to synchronise the checkout of two git
      trees. Almost the same as building them separately.
   d. RH: May mean it needs to be a submodule.
   e. AB: Adding submodule to the kernel would be controversial.
   f. WL: Also sub trees and sub repos which get you the same thing
      without being ‘submodules’. BSD is looking at these.
   g. SM: Arnd - are you happy to look at these options
   h. AB: Yes

3. Alexandre making progress on runtime ID - see DTE-18 and DTE-19 in Linaro's Jira
   a. SM: Next step is adding some checksums on the nodes to see what
      has changed since the DTB was compiled. ST interested in this
      for their own sanity checking.

4. Quick status update on System Devicetree
   a. SS: Happy to get feedback from Rob. Last example sent to the
      list is the one I’ve been testing on - removing all the
      experimental ideas.
   b. BG: Can you share the code you’re changing in the kernel - not
      just the bindings.
   c. SS: I’ll check with Bruce and make sure we share an update on
      the tool that understands the bindings.

5. AB: Wil have a look at the git logs for who is committing on MIPS
   or PPC

6. AOB
   1. SK: Are all the discussions on the DT mailing list.
   2. SM: 3 lists in play at the moment: dte-all@xxxxxxxxxx,
      devicetree-spec list, system-dt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   3. SS: Once we agree on the general aspects of the key pieces we
      can move to the other one (the -spec list)

7. Next meeting? 18th December - very close to Christmas

8. Will send out a summary of the meeting notes

Background information about DTE
================================

Linaro engineers are working on a range of initiatives in the DT
space, collected together as a project called Device Tree Evolution
(DTE). We hold a discussion call every second Wednesday at
1700 GMT / 1200 EST / 0900 PST. If you would like to be invited, please
ask me (Steve McIntyre).

This is a summary of the notes from the most recent meeting. I aim to
tidy up and post the meeting notes shortly after each meeting. The raw
notes are published at

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRVDrVFWjIOascqZFCO--T8pIqyFB_MDh9cvgyoqhI6Y0tqaA9TcCcvQhcmxi5IY7CG44JfIrCdAUDL/pub

For more information about DTE, see:

 * https://www.linaro.org/engineering/core/devicetree-evolution/