Re: Size growth?

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 01:55:03PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 08:05:54AM -0400, Tom Rini wrote:

> > > So, there are kind of two things here, (1) is "my platform can handle
> > > unaligned accesses" and (2) is "assume I don't need unaligned
> > > accesses".  We can use the fast & small versions of fdt32_ld() etc. if
> > > either is true.  However we need to consider those separately, because
> > > they can be independently true (or not) for different reasons.  (1)
> > > depends on the hardware, whereas (2) depends on how you're using dtc,
> > > and, see below, you may need at least unaligned-handling fdt64_ld() in
> > > more cases than you think.

> > > Assuming the blob itself is 8-byte aligned in memory, then all
> > > structural elements (i.e. the tree metadata) of a compliant dtb will
> > > be naturally aligned.  The spec requires 8-byte alignment of the mem
> > > reserve block w.r.t. the base of the blob and 4 byte aligned structure
> > > block w.r.t. the base of the blob.  Likewise the layout of the mem
> > > reserve block will preserve 8-byte alignment of all the 64-bit values
> > > it contains, assuming the block itself starts 8-byte aligned.
> > > Similarly the structure blob will preserve 4-byte alignment of all its
> > > tags and other structural data (this amounts to requiring an alignment
> > > gap after node names and property values).
> > >
> > > However, "all structural elements" does not include values within
> > > property values themselves.  Assuming propery alignment of the blocks
> > > and the blob itself, then all property values will *begin* 4 byte
> > > aligned.  However that leaves two relevant cases:
> > >
> > >  a) 64-bit property values may be 4-byte aligned but not 8-byte
> > >     aligned
> > >  b) complex property values including both strings and integers
> > >     typically use a packed representation with no alignment gaps.
> > >     Such property structures are usually avoided in modern bindings,
> > >     but they definitely exist in a bunch of older bindings.  Obviously
> > >     that means that integer values sitting after arbitrary length
> > >     strings may not have any natural alignment
> > >
> > > So acccesses made by libfdt internally should be safe(*) assuming the
> > > blob itself is loaded 8-byte aligned, and the dtb is compliant.
> > > However the libfdt user may hit both problems (a) and (b) getting
> > > things they actually want from the tree.  fdt{32,64}_{ld,st}() are
> > > intended to handle those cases, so that they're useful for the caller
> > > to pull things from properties as well as for libfdt internal
> > > accesses.
> > >
> > > (*) There are a number of other functions that looked like they might
> > >     be dangerous for case (a) because they are based on 64-bit
> > >     property values: fdt_setprop_inplace_u64(), fdt_property_u64(),
> > >     fdt_setprop_u64(), fdt_appendprop_u64() and
> > >     fdt_appendprop_addrrange().  However I think they're actually
> > >     ok, because the way they're built in terms of other functions
> > >     means there's implicitly a memcpy() from a byte buffer.

> > > Right, running early with MMU off is definitely a real use case for
> [...]

I'm asking what the platform(s) are that have the very specific "and
here be failure" problem you're concerned with.  I'm concerned that
right now we're going to end up with larger pile of reverts to dtc in
U-Boot rather than being able to just sync with the project properly
again.

--
Tom

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]