Re: Size growth?

On 26/10/2020 21:51, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 10:23 AM Tom Rini <trini@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Ok... I'm not really sure where you're going with that thought.
>>
>> In my reading of the mailing list history of how this issue came up,
>> it was someone was booting a dragonboard or something, and they (or
>> rather, the board maintainer set by default) the flag to use the device
>> tree wherever it is in memory and NOT to relocate it to a properly
>> aligned address.  This in turn lead to the kernel getting an unaligned
>> device tree and everything crashing.  The "I know what I'm doing" flag
>> was set, violated the documented requirements for device trees need to
>> reside in memory and everything blew up.
>>
>> After that it was noticed that there could be some internal
>> mis-alignment and if you tried those accesses on a CPU that doesn't
>> support doing those reads easily there could be problems, but that's not
>> a common at all case (as noted by it not having been seen in practice).
>
> Nor a problem on many environments to begin with. More below...

>>> All the ASSUME flags should be resolved at compile time (at least with
>>> normal optimization levels enabled in the compiler), so testing for
>>> those shouldn't increase size at all.  If they do, something is wrong.
>>
>> I'm saying that how ever this new ASSUME flag is done, it needs to be
>> done in such a way the compiler really will be smart about it.  So
>> something like making a new function that does fdt64_ld() if we aren't
>> ASSUME_ALIGNED_ACCESS and fdt64_to_cpu() if we are
>> ASSUME_ALIGNED_ACCESS.
>
> Ah, unaligned accesses again... To summarize, both performance and
> size suffer with not doing unaligned accesses.
>
> Why not a HAS_UNALIGNED_ACCESS flag instead (or the inverse) that will
> do unaligned accesses? That would be more aligned with what the system
> can support rather than sanity checking associated with ASSUME_*.
>
> To repeat from last time, everything ARMv6 and up can do unaligned
> accesses if enabled.

But that requires the MMU to be enabled, doesn't it? If I read the ARM
ARM correctly, unaligned accesses always trap on device memory,
regardless of SCTLR.A. And without the MMU enabled everything is device
memory. We compile U-Boot with -mno-unaligned-access/-mstrict-align to
cope with that, and that most likely affects libfdt as well?

Also some 32-bit ARM platforms run U-Boot proper with the MMU disabled
all the time, and I know of at least the sunxi-aarch64 SPL running with
the MMU off as well.

Cheers,
Andre

> people care about. Whether that's enabled or not is up to how SCTLR.A
> is configured. Last I checked, u-boot clears this. Don't know about
> SPL case though.
>
> Rob

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]