Re: Debian packages for Reef - any chance of reviews / builds?

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer
On Sep 29, 2023 6:07 PM, Bernd Zeimetz <bzed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2023-09-29 at 16:48 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > On 9/29/23 14:53, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> >

> > > My Debian developer hat is sympathetic to this problem, too (but
> > > doesn't
> > > have a lot of free time!). I think I'm inclined to agree with Bernd
> > > that
> > > it may not be a valuable use of time trying to get packages built
> > > for
> > > architectures that Ceph upstream don't support, particularly given
> > > how
> > > resource-hungry the build process is.
> >
> > I don't agree with this, especially considering we need librbd for
> > many
> > packages in Debian. I counted 10 packages in Debian that have
> > build-depends on librbd-dev or librados-dev. If Ceph gets removed
> > from
> > Debian, then the support for Ceph by those packages is gone too...
>
> How many of these packages are really needed on a 32bit arch?
>
> Even if you don't like it, the reality is that - at least the last time
> I checked it - not even reading the default config values is possible
> with the current code base, and the Debian patch that fixed the
> compilation NEEDS to be removed as it will absolutely lead to memory
> errors on runtime.
>
> What you can try is to build librbd and librados on 32bit arches and
> ignore everything else. I'm not sure how much they need from the rest
> of the code base, but its much more reasonable to ship only them on
> 32bit instead of a definitely broken ceph.

I don't have much time to reply right now, but today, I wrote bug reports to ask for 32 bits removal of Ceph support on the 10 packages that had librbd or librados build-depends. So I agree...

I also don't have skills and time to reasonably build only libs for 32 bits. Contribs welcome...

> When I started looking into ceph I've removed lots of stuff from the
> debian folder that the ubuntu people added for unknown reasons, its
> much closer to upstream these days then it was before. Actually close
> enough that it is no problem to switch to the upstream packages at all.

Not entirely, though I did some work, diffing the 2, so that Debian and upstream packaging converges even more. At this point, IMO, I must invest some time on upstream packaging.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand