CLT meeting summary 2023-02-01

distro testing for reef
* https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/49443 adds centos9 and ubuntu22 to
supported distros
* centos9 blocked by teuthology bug https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/58491
  - lsb_release command no longer exists, use /etc/os-release instead
  - ceph stopped depending on lsb_release in 2021 with
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/42770
* ubuntu22 not blocked by teuthology, but the new python version
breaks most of the rgw tests

can we drop centos8 or ubuntu20 support for reef?
* we usually support the latest centos and two ubuntu LTSs
* users need an upgrade path that doesn't require OS and ceph upgrade
at the same time
* we might be able to drop centos8 support for Reef by adding centos9
support to Quincy
* python versioning issues make longer-term support of older distros
problematic. related work:
  - https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/41979
  - https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/47501

ondisk format changes in minor releases
* https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/48915 introduced some BlueFS log
changes in 16.2.11 which makes it incompatible with previous Pacific
releases. Hence no downgrade is permitted any more.
  - doc text tracked in https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/58625
* how do we prevent these issues in the future?
  - better testing of mixed-version rgw/mds/mgr/etc

infrastructure update
* a planned network outage yesterday still affecting LRC