Ceph Leadership Team Meeting: Jan 12

Hi Cephers,

These are the minutes of this week's CLT meeting:

  • Quincy Release: feature status
  • Per component:
    • rgw - rate limiting merged, others on track
    • cephfs - some test reruns, teuthology fix should be merged soon. cidr needs update, testing
    • rbd - design concerns for encrypted clones, other prs in flight as well. end of jan realistic date
    • dashboard - feedback module outstanding, everything else is smaller fixes/features
    • rados - things in progress, should be merged by friday
  • Branch quincy on Friday 5pm PT, after that merge fixes to master and backport to quincy
  • In-tree Zipper backends:
    • Do we care as a project? What are our standards for code inclusion re: testing and distribution of such things?
    • Discussion around pros & cons of in-tree code (CI, deps, etc). No decision made yet.
  • Sebastian Wagner (Cephadm Lead) Leaving Ceph this month. Adam King taking over
  • "master" branch to be renamed "main":
    • "master" in the docs/git branch/code base (rgw and rbd sync mostly? some very internal rados variables)
    • change branch names in all repos after quincy release
    • other instances in rgw/rbd - target fixixng in R, updating docs and maintaining backwards compat with commands/apis
  • Issue: [ceph-users] OSDs use 200GB RAM and crash
  • has become a thread with many users claiming that osd ram exploded some time after pg splitting, causing various levels of disaster
  • which info do we need from users, and where should we collect it?
  • num entries in pg log (is ceph pg dump LOG column accurate for this?); debug_osd 20 debug_ms 1; anything else about context, history, use-case, size ?
  • is gibba regularly splitting / merging ?
  • (Non-dev) users struggle when contributing to docs [https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/44150#issuecomment-1010884872].
    • Could we make the process friendlier for occasional/non-dev contributors? Wiki-like?
    • Zac Dover (@zdover23)'s response: advertise me more. Make it possible for Jake (and future Jakes) to find me. I think if we make a wiki, we increase the administrative cost of incorporating correct information into the upstream docs.
    • remove commit message check for docs prs
    • fix edit on github link - s/blob/edit/
    • add zac automatically to docs PRs via codeowners (@ceph/doc-writers team)
  • Automate Dependabot backports:
  • "Dependabot" monitors repo dependencies (Python, JS, Java, Git submodules, Golang, Docker, ...) and sends PRs:
  • when a CVE is reported for the current version of a dependency,
  • or when a dependency is upgraded (according to a configurable upgrade policy: major, minor or patch upgrades only)
  • Mergify is already enabled in the Ceph org and it's used in ceph-ansible and ceph-nano repos.
  • Agreed to enable mergify for backporting dependabot PRs
  • Fastly is reviewing their CDN Open Source Programme for 2022 -- news later.
  • Release notes for minor versions not backported to release branches.
    • Should we backport? or add a link to the top of the release notes advising to always look in /latest/ ?

Kind Regards,
Ernesto