Re: teuthology is now python3

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 5:20 AM Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 9:59 PM Brad Hubbard <bhubbard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So we are clear about this any tests using a branch based on luminous,
> > mimic, nautilus, or octopus should use "--teuthology-branch py2".
> >
> > Anything newer than octopus should be tested against the teuthology
> > master branch (IOW do not use "--teuthology-branch py2").
>
> Is there a way we can automate this?

I think to be effective it would have to reject the command line
purely from the command line arguments given and I'm not sure there's
a way to determine what branch a run is based on purely from the
command line arguments with any great certainty unless we decide on a
convention for branch naming that *always* includes the branch (or am
I thinking about this the wrong way?).

> I guess the main users of older branches will probably be the
> nightlies or using backport scripts so maybe we're okay just leaving
> it, but something that checks the included tags and tries to guess or
> at least warn if you use the wrong one would prevent some errors.
>
> (I'm assuming this applies to anything we run with
> teuthology-schedule, not just direct invocations.)

Yes.

> -Greg
>

> > Hope this is clear.
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:40 PM kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > hi folks,
> > >
> > > we just migrated ceph:teuthology and all tests under qa/ in ceph:ceph
> > > to python3. and from now on, the teuthology-worker runs in a python3
> > > environment by default unless specified otherwise using
> > > "--teuthology-branch py2".
> > >
> > > which means:
> > >
> > > - we need to write tests in python3 in master now
> > > - teuthology should be python3 compatible.
> > > - teuthology bug fixes should be backported to "py2" branch.
> > >
> > > if you run into any issues related to python3 due to the above
> > > changes, please let me know. and i will try to fix it ASAP.
> > >
> > > currently, the tests under qa/ directories in ceph:ceph master branch
> > > are python2 and python3 compatible. but since we've moved to python3,
> > > there is no need to be python2 compatible anymore. since the sepia lab
> > > is still using ubuntu xenial, we cannot use features offered by
> > > python3.6 at this moment yet. but we do plan to upgrade the OS to
> > > bionic soon. before that happens, the tests need to be compatible with
> > > Python3.5.
> > >
> > > the next step is to
> > >
> > > - drop python2 support in ceph:ceph master branch, and
> > > - drop python2 support in ceph:teuthology master.
> > > - backport python3 compatible changes to octopus and nautilus to ease
> > > the pain of backport
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Kefu Chai