Re: iperf

On 7/20/07, Gerrit Renker <gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Patrick:
|  Hi,
|
|  Quick question on iperf and kernel 2.6.22 (official and exp DCCP tree).
|  I use 2 computers + 1 netembox in between
|  Here are iperf cmd lines I use :
|  on dccpServer : # iperf -s -Xdccp -l1424
|  on dccpClient : # iperf -c dccpServer -Xdccp -l1424 -t30

This iperf variant only sends at full/maximum speed, i.e. it will try aggressively
to stuff your link, until it is forced to slow down by the kernel. This generates
a lot of other problems - such as increase in delay, queue overflow etc.

I still think that DCCP CCID3 should respond gracefully in this
circumstance, not collapse. We have congestion control and we
shouldn't go down to virtually nothing. TCP works fine, older versions
of DCCP work fine. I've got to research what is going on for sure
though. Might be time to use dccp_probe as well and work out what's
going on?

Are others aware of dccp_probe? - this is quite useful for looking at
problems like this.

I haven't done bandwidth tests during the last days, but if you are doing such tests
can you please compare with the constant-bitrate variant of iperf:

 * use original source
   http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/apps/iperf/zip/iperf-2.0.2.tar.gz
 * only needs patch #1 from
   http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/apps/iperf/patches/

 * then try iteratively with the -b switch to increase the bandwidth, i.e.
    iperf -c dccpServer -l1424  -d -b1m         # 1Mbps CBR DCCP
    iperf -c dccpServer -l1424  -d -b5m         # 5Mbps
    iperf -c dccpServer -l1424  -d -b10m        # 10Mbps

I will try these out - going to play with iperf for a bit now...

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/
Blog: http://iansblog.jandi.co.nz