Re: iperf

Hi,

Quick question on iperf and kernel 2.6.22 (official and exp DCCP tree).
I use 2 computers + 1 netembox in between
Here are iperf cmd lines I use :
on dccpServer : # iperf -s -Xdccp -l1424
on dccpClient : # iperf -c dccpServer -Xdccp -l1424 -t30

On 2.6.22 kernel:
Without netem rate control, iperf result is about 95.0 Mbits/sec
With netem rate control at 1024Kbits/sec, iperf result could be
10Kbits/sec or 30Kbits/sec...

On 2.6.20 with Ian's patches:
Without netem rate control, iperf result is about 95.0 Mbits/sec
With netem rate control at 1024Kbits/sec, iperf result is about 950Kbits/sec.

netem cmd lines: (I also tried with delay and loss turned on)
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1:0 tbf rate 1024kbit buffer 10000 limit 30000
tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1:0 tbf rate 1024kbit buffer 10000 limit 30000

Is anyone has a such low rate on 2.6.22 kernel? do you know why?

regards,
Patrick.

On 17/07/07, Ian McDonald <ian.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/18/07, ツ Leandro Sales <leandroal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm using iperf to make some DCCP tests and I'd like to know if it
> is possible to make iperf client (with -c option) transmit packets
> during certain duration and measure the throughput each x seconds.
> I've used -t 3 (for instance) option, but iperf just connect, send
> packets, show the results and finish its job. I'd like to continuous
> take instant throughput for each x seconds, how to do this?
>
> []s
> Leandro.

From iperf --help
  -i, --interval  #        seconds between periodic bandwidth reports

I use this quite a bit and works perfectly. I've also modified iperf
to run continuously if you need that capability - available from my
web page.

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/