Re: iperf

Quoting Patrick:
|  Hi,
|
|  Quick question on iperf and kernel 2.6.22 (official and exp DCCP tree).
|  I use 2 computers + 1 netembox in between
|  Here are iperf cmd lines I use :
|  on dccpServer : # iperf -s -Xdccp -l1424
|  on dccpClient : # iperf -c dccpServer -Xdccp -l1424 -t30

This iperf variant only sends at full/maximum speed, i.e. it will try aggressively
to stuff your link, until it is forced to slow down by the kernel. This generates
a lot of other problems - such as increase in delay, queue overflow etc.

I haven't done bandwidth tests during the last days, but if you are doing such tests
can you please compare with the constant-bitrate variant of iperf:

 * use original source
   http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/apps/iperf/zip/iperf-2.0.2.tar.gz
 * only needs patch #1 from
   http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/apps/iperf/patches/

 * then try iteratively with the -b switch to increase the bandwidth, i.e.
    iperf -c dccpServer -l1424  -d -b1m		# 1Mbps CBR DCCP
    iperf -c dccpServer -l1424  -d -b5m         # 5Mbps
    iperf -c dccpServer -l1424  -d -b10m        # 10Mbps

Do you get a higher speed this way? If yes, then the low speeds are likely due to
queue overflow, otherwise there is another reason. There have been a lot of changes
in the netdev kernel, the test tree has not been changed.