Re: Shell source with relative pathname does not work

Bill Maas @ Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:53:57 +0200:

> Hi folks,
[]
> First my compliments for the excellent work you are doing: I used to
> believe that slowness was just another shell feature.

Hallo, Bill. Please see history of the Almquist shell; you will find
interesting info there: http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ash/

As for optimization, IMHO `dash` is in deep bug-fixing mode. However
NetBSD version has some development wrt speed:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/bin/sh/var.c?rev=1.35&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

> I possibly found a bug in Dash:
>
> . x.conf
> .: 1: x.conf: not found
>
> The source fails, even though x.conf is definitely there. The following
> variants do succeed:
>
> . /path/to/x.conf
> . ./x.conf

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/dot.html

So, behavior must be as for ordinary binaries -- searching PATH and
not current dir. by default. IMHO quite good decision -- care where
you are, and what you are executing.

`bash` seem to do searching in `.', but this must be its feature.
--
sed 'sed && sh + olecom = love' << ''
-o--=O`C