Re: Shutdown failure and empty boot.log with encrypted system

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 00:17 +0200, markus reichelt wrote:
> * Frederick Gazerblezeebe <fgazerblezeebe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have two issues:  The first is since encrypting /, the file
> > /var/log/boot.log is no longer written.  Is this a problem with my
> > /specific setup or is this how it behaves for everyone else?
>
> Is /var already mounted when boot.log is being written? Search init
> scripts for boot.log (usually it's just a dmesg > file)

It turns out that boot.log is written by the plymouthd daemon, which
currently I have disabled because of difficulties getting it to behave
during the boot into my encrypted system. I do think I understand the
problem, at least in principle, and will be looking into it further.
The dmesg file is a separate file and that is currently being written as
it should.

> > Ideas?  Can I provide other information that would be helpful with
> > troubleshooting?
>
> Idea: I'd guess it's one more script issue, and dig through fedora's
> shutdown scripts and adapt them so that /var and /usr are unmounted
> at last, right before the actual sync; reboot; magic

I found the culprit.  There was a clash between the netfs and halt init
scripts, both of which were attempting to disconnect the loop devices in
rapid succession during shutdown. I don't really understand this as my
loop mounts are not nfs mounts, but I will take it up on another list as
I do need netfs running. In any case, chkconfig'ing netfs to off at
least solves the shutdown problem for now.

FG

-