Re: Mounting additional encrypted filesystems from within an encrypted root

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 14:28 +0300, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> Frederick Gazerblezeebe wrote:
> > The final stumbling block was that because /etc/rc.d/rc#.d/S00losetup (a
> > link to losetup.sh) was called too late in the boot sequence, the boot still
> > failed when it tried to fsck loop6 before it had been losetup'ed.  I solved
> > this by adding the losetup line to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit immediately before
> > the fsck calls.
>
> Dunno about Fedora, but traditional/old init runlevel S is when system is
> initialized. So doing the losetup at /etc/rcS.d/S00losetup may work better.
> However, if Fedora uses runlevel 5 for initialization, then previously said
> does not apply.

Fedora has no /etc/rcS.d, the initialization for each runlevel is
handled in it's own directory, /etc/rc[0-6].d. I am surprised that I
can't insert losetup.sh into the boot process early enough to work, but
that currently appears to be the case.

> In earlier post you were wondering why 'df' and 'mount' does not list some
> mounted file system. That is because /etc/mtab file contains stale data,
> from time the system was last shutdown. That file can't be modified/updated
> until root device is re-mounted read-write. Same reason why '/dev/loop5 on /
> type ext4 (rw)' incorrectly seems to be mounted read-write.

In the course of my many experiments I did eventually discover the
necessity of / being remounted in rw mode for df and mount to report the
correct information, but I was not aware of the role of /etc/mtab.

> In earlier post you were trying to figure out what some program was doing.
> 'strace' and 'gdb' can be used to debug binary programs.
>
>     strace -i -o /tmp/log1 /bin/ls -l /var /home
>     less /tmp/log1
>     gdb /bin/ls
>         run -l /var /home
>         quit
>
> Type "man strace" and "man gdb" for more info.

Thanks for the pointers; no doubt these commands will be helpful to me
in the future.

So again, thanks for the comments Jari, and also for your work in making
loop-aes available. Although this is my first foray into running from an
encrypted root partition, I have been using loop-aes for a very long
time now, something that will no doubt continue into the future.

Cheers,

FG

-