Re: Mounting additional encrypted filesystems from within an encrypted root

Frederick Gazerblezeebe wrote:
> right now, I had placed gpg in /sbin instead of /bin.  Moving it to /bin
> enabled losetup.sh to run successfully, at least from the commandline.

When losetup runs gpg, losetup tries /bin/gpg, /usr/bin/gpg, and
/usr/local/bin/gpg only. If gpg binary is not one of those, then losetup
will fail.

> The final stumbling block was that because /etc/rc.d/rc#.d/S00losetup (a
> link to losetup.sh) was called too late in the boot sequence, the boot still
> failed when it tried to fsck loop6 before it had been losetup'ed.  I solved
> this by adding the losetup line to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit immediately before
> the fsck calls.

Dunno about Fedora, but traditional/old init runlevel S is when system is
initialized. So doing the losetup at /etc/rcS.d/S00losetup may work better.
However, if Fedora uses runlevel 5 for initialization, then previously said
does not apply.

In earlier post you were wondering why 'df' and 'mount' does not list some
mounted file system. That is because /etc/mtab file contains stale data,
from time the system was last shutdown. That file can't be modified/updated
until root device is re-mounted read-write. Same reason why '/dev/loop5 on /
type ext4 (rw)' incorrectly seems to be mounted read-write.

In earlier post you were trying to figure out what some program was doing.
'strace' and 'gdb' can be used to debug binary programs.

    strace -i -o /tmp/log1 /bin/ls -l /var /home
    less /tmp/log1
    gdb /bin/ls
        run -l /var /home
        quit

Type "man strace" and "man gdb" for more info.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-