Re: Necessity for device overwriting?

* Phil Grundig <wdef200@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I understand that overwriting the device with random data before setting
> up loop-aes on the device is needed in order to prevent an attacker
> determining how full the encrypted filesystem is.
>
> I realize that good encryption schemes operate on a "the less information
> discernible to an attacker, the better" principle.  But, in reality, how
> useful is knowing how much data is in the filesystem to an attacker? It says
> nothing about the data itself?  And if files are put in the filesystem and
> deleted, or moved around, then gradually - with fragmentation and such -
> even this information gets lost eventually, doesn't it?
>
> Can an attacker discern the size of individual files if the device has not
> been overwritten first?

It´s a practical approach to give you a better understanding. Try less -f /dev/sdX on the device you are going to encrypt. A blank block device is filled with zeros or continually the same single character. Issuing shred /dev/sdX shows strong resemblance to what loop-aes encryption leaves behind.
In case only a first fraction of a block device is filled with such random (looking) data one might suggest you to reveal keys/passes to uncover the real nature of this information. In case you find a method of storing data using just one character please inform me as soon as possible ;-)

Kind regards,
Peter

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02